Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Perfect Lunch

When we return to America, I'll be able to make some of my favorite Thai foods at home, and find many of the others in restaurants. I'm sure they just won't taste the same as they do here, though.

Since school has ended we've had lots of time at home (packing, mostly), and it has meant that we've been able to go out and get one of my favorite foods for lunch nearly every day. Som tam, or papaya salad, is usually made from shredded raw papaya. It's pounded up with garlic, chili peppers, tomatoes, green beans, peanuts, and tamarind. Non-vegetarians might add shrimp, crab, or fermented fish paste. I just go for salt or soy sauce.

It's perfect eaten with sticky rice, and in this case, with some Diet Pepsi on the side. At night, it's great with a beer!

No comments: