Sunday, March 11, 2007

My Husband, the Teacher



I’ve featured several people on this blog lately, all of them important in my life here in Thailand, and today I’ve decided to feature Robert. He’s pretty important, too!

Mostly I just want to show off a photo of him teaching. I think he does an excellent job. Like me, he teaches at two schools. Mondays and Tuesdays he goes to the big school in our town. Class sizes are in the 30s and 40s, and most of the kids are relatively wealthy for this area (which isn’t very wealthy, but it’s still noticeable). Wednesdays he is at the office with me, and Thursdays and Fridays he teaches at his village school. It’s three kilometers from our house – not all that far, but much farther than I want to ride a bike in 100 degree heat! It’s a very small, very poor school, and the kids have been just thrilled these last two years to have Robert there.

In December of 2005, the village school organized a little birthday party for Robert. The kids brought in gifts from their homes, including a bath towel, a mug, some potato chips, and a big bottle of Sprite – the last being collectively purchased and offered by a group of enthusiastic young boys, as shown in the second photo. (The other farang in the photo is our friend Calin, who was here visiting at the time.) Robert: a loveable guy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was really nice to read...ad i'm sure it was a wonderful celebration too...and hey to enjoy some fun of birthdays you can also drop by my blog on Birthday Celebrations sometime and check out all the fun and laughter it's filled up with!!!

Anonymous said...

Yay for Robert!

In addition to loveable Robert and beautiful Calin, I would like to point out a third, partially obscured, farang in the picture of that most memorable birthday party.

Emily said...

How sweet. I really like this little feature!