Thursday, March 02, 2006

Blink of an Eye

Sometimes I am amazed at how events happen so quickly for us in our Peace Corps Thailand life. During the first three months of 2005, we changed households twice. In September, our home was fully flooded in the space of 45 minutes. In the past three months, I have been to Bangkok 6 times (8-10 hours each way), Chiang Mai twice (3-4 hours), Uthai Thani twice (7 hours), and hosted 10 American guests. There's never a slow moment. Sometimes I really want a nap!

It's the little things, though, that can make life seem so unpredictable and dramatic. Coming home after another journey to find that the market has disappeared, for example. A place that was, a week ago, full of fruit and vegetable stalls and tables of butchered meat, suddenly no longer exists but has been replaced with an unwelcoming sea of grey rubble. No warning that I knew of, although perhaps it was in Thai so I just didn't pay attention. It rather makes me feel as though life is rushing along with no sign of slowing, and I had better hold on fast!

Reports are fuzzy as we've only been back in town for a few hours and have yet to get a full story from a reliable source, but it seems that the town is building a supermarket. Life in rural northern Thailand goes upscale, or something like that. In the meantime, the fruit sellers have relocated to the street. I hope I can find my favorite apple woman again tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stupid market destroying, supermarket building, no-warning giving finks!
Rubble pictures?

CMT said...

Wow--I have to say, a supermarket seems like a step in the wrong direction to me! Where's your stickyrice vendor or your meat Dementors?