Thursday, March 23, 2006

Ceremony

There are days when, if you were to observe me attending a Thai ceremony, you might see me twiddling my thumbs or nodding off in the heat. Then there are days when you’d see me attentive, interested, and thoughtful. Sometimes, when sitting with my hands folded in a "wai" position while the monk chants on and on, I think about the days I spent teaching in American schools. I often get frustrated about life as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Thailand – that’s probably an understatement – but I do recognize that this experience of being submerged in an unknown world is a unique and special one.

I arrived at school for today’s "ngan" (celebration) just as the first group of my 6th graders were having their corsages pinned by family members. Some had parents, others grandparents, a few had aunts, and one had a teacher stand-in. They all looked very happy and I was proud thinking about how I’ve gotten to see them grow and change this year.

When the monk was reciting and when the local government official was speaking, I took time to look around at the various teachers, students, and family members gathered in the meeting area. I thought about my days in the classroom, our class field trips, the students visiting my house and even, once, bringing fresh vegetables, and I thought about what I might like to try to do next year. I still don’t understand much of the language, and I don’t know the various and assorted family members by name, but I do feel connected in some small way to this little village across the rice fields.

The 6th graders completed the first half of their formal education today, and I complete the first half of my Peace Corps service on Saturday. It’s a good time for looking both backward and forward. It’s also a good time to be aware of the present, and to acknowledge the small pleasures of life in northern Thailand.

Robert just commented that the watermelon he bought from our neighbors next door for 10 baht (about 25 cents) is "just beautiful" on the inside.

No comments: