Friday, March 10, 2006

Purple and Orange


Yesterday, because 4 teachers and half the students were absent and my co-teacher wasn’t sure how to keep her 6th graders busy all day, I was able to say, "Well, why don’t we work on the world map some more." (It had been about three weeks.) So small groups of kids worked with me throughout the day, adding two more colors. I am pleased to say that we restored Kenya to existence (it had been mysteriously connected to Uganda on a previous painting day), as well as the Palestinian Territories, Macedonia, Eritrea, and Timor. (I don’t know why we seemed to have a pattern of erasing political hot spots!) Next week I have to be sure that we get back Armenia, Lichtenstein, San Marino, Senegal, and parts of Russia, Mexico, and Bangladesh...
Along with the hot season seems to come the arrival of the noise season. Rural Thailand is very funny in that people really seem to follow the schedule of the sunlight. They get up when the sun rises and go down when it sets. This means that people are awake and moving about for longer periods of time in the hotter seasons than in the cold season, when there was significantly less sunlight. It also means that instead of the loud music coming on behind our house at 7:00 or 7:30am, it now starts as early as 6:30. (And when I say "loud," that means loud enough to be heard through our special thick windows and over our fan.) So much for sleeping in on Saturdays!
Last night for a treat – our first full weekend at home since January – we made eggplant parmesan. Yes, eggplant parmesan. I had bought the mozzarella in Chiang Mai two weeks ago, and the parmesan came from care packages (!), and our town is full of eggplants. It was really very good! I think I had forgotten what it tasted like.

No comments: