Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Ornate Wats



Thailand has lots of great places to visit. To "bai tiow" means to go touring, and Thai people love to do it!

One thing that Thailand has no shortage of is "ornate wats." This photo shows Wat Pra Gaew in Bangkok -- the home of the Emerald Buddha, which traveled all around Thailand before landing here.

I've visited this place twice now -- once with my Dad, stepmom, and brothers in December, and once this past weekend with Robert's parents and sisters. Both times I have been completely taken with the beauty of the decoration and the intense care that was put into the design. Sitting in the main hall, below the Emerald Buddha, gazing at paintings and watching people of many nationalities meditate and observe, is an experience I could easily enjoy for hours.

If I could go straight from my front yard in northern Thailand to the grounds of Wat Pra Gaew without the necessary 8+ hour bus trip, I would do it regularly. Alas, I'll have to be content with taking all of our subsequent guests to visit and hoping that they are as easily enchanted as I am.

No comments: