Thursday, February 16, 2006

On the Road Again


Tomorrow we leave for Bangkok at 7:30am to meet Robert's family! We'll be taking the good old 1st class bus, with which we've had lots of experience lately.

This is a particularly nice bus company because it stops mid-day at a food court that actually has vegetarian noodle soup (or something close enough). So here I am, three days ago, eating my noodles. I have eaten the same noodles at the same lunch stop four times in the last two weeks, despite its location six hours from our house. I'll be eating them again tomorrow.

Little things to notice about the photo: 1) though I'm eating with chopsticks because I'm eating noodles, Robert's empty plate next to mine has just a fork and spoon -- the typical Central Thai rice dish utensils; 2) lots of fancy Thai writing all over the signs in the background; 3) just barely visible -- tables of local goodies like crackers and rice cakes sold widely all over Thailand as part of a government initiative to have every village specialize in its own product.

3 comments:

LAV said...

Kate- I'm so excited to find your blog. And extrememly jealous to see you eating thai food- it's my second favorite food ethnicity & a close second to japanese.

-cousin laura

CMT said...

Your noodle-bus paragraph totally cracked me up, and it cracked Ian up, then I read it out loud to him and we cracked up again. So glad you're blogging!

cheers, Calin

Stacey Pelika said...

Let me add myself to the list of folks who are happy that you now have a blog - hooray!

-Stacey