Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Cold in Thailand


Over the last week our temperatures in Thaialnd have taken an amazing plunge. Our thermometer has been consistently reading in the upper 40s at night. This is very cold when you have no indoor heating! It's also very cold when you have a very weak hot water heater, so showers can be a chilling experience. Washing dishes is rather like bathing your hands in ice.
We've taken to sleeping in long pants, hats, and hooded sweatshirts, covered by layers of blankets. Two layers of socks are necessary for protection from our cold tile floor. We're starting to wonder if our upbringing in the northern climes has been completely useless, as we seem to have no tolerance for this weather.
I don't really mind the cold now, though, because I know that in just a few weeks I'll be roasting hot again.

3 comments:

thailandchani said...

Why in the world is it so cold? That's really unusual.


Peace,

~Chani

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate and Robert,
Robert, your parents visited with Liz and me here in Minnesota this past Wednesday. They look wonderful. That is how we learned about your site. I plan to read it in entirety next week. I will still be on winter break and have more time. I wish both of you the best as you wrap up your time there. Bye, Vicky Kent

Anonymous said...

When I was in Mali and it got down to 75 degrees I defined this as "freezing," so I understand where you're coming from. So much for being a hearty Minnesotan...:)
-Molly