Sunday, September 10, 2006

Typical Tuesday


Last week’s "Typical Monday" was, interestingly enough, followed by what I might consider a "Typical Tuesday." I teach at 2 different schools. One, my Monday-Thursday school, is pretty well-run and the teachers, in my opinion, care a lot about the students. The other, my Tuesday-Friday school, is somewhat of a dysfunctional mess for many reasons I won’t go into just now. In any case, this past week illustrated some of the differences between the two schools.

On my "Typical Monday," as described, I taught several classes and helped with English club. By contrast, on my "Typical Tuesday," there was no teaching. All day. None.

When I arrived at school just after 8:30 (no morning run, but still oatmeal for breakfast), my co-teacher, Waewnapa, was a bit stressed. "Oh," she said, "a group is coming to look at the library today so I have to make many boards." In addition to being the 6th grade teacher and the English teacher for all grades, Waewnapa is also the librarian, and the principal has made a big push to develop the library over the past year or so since our flood. This past week, several school libraries in the district were being evaluated in some sort of contest to see who had the best one. Our principal really wanted to win.

So, our morning was spent making "boards," an activity in which I have minimal skill, not being artistically inclined or motivated. Boards are display pieces, kind of like what American elementary school students might use as in their science projects. They generally have lots of photos, descriptive text, and decorations. When I arrived on Tuesday, most of the work had already been done, so my role consisted of helping to select which paper flower went on which board, and what color (pink or white?) should be the paper used for listing the names of library donors. It made for a slow morning.

In the afternoon, the evaluators arrived, and I helped by standing nearby, smiling and occasionally agreeing that I could speak Thai. The principal also excitedly pointed out that I had helped with some of the decorations. The evaluators seemed mildly impressed by this information. I also assisted by taking photographs of the evaluators doing important things, like standing and reading the boards or sitting at tables in the library.

When I finally left school shortly before 4:00pm, I could think of little that I had truly accomplished during the day. Oh well. We had a fine evening, anyway, complete with yellow curry and aerobics class at the town hall.

[Note: The photo of Waewnapa making a board was actually taken last February, during another board-making flurry, hence her warm clothing! This week’s board-making took place during a severe hot spell.]

1 comment:

CMT said...

Kate, I just have to tell you I get such a kick out of your blog entries. You're very funny :)