Sunday, May 07, 2006

Elephant Mania

Before coming to Thailand I couldn’t wait to see an elephant. While I am still very fond of the large, smelly creatures, I have to admit they have become almost commonplace to me now. Who would have thought? That has not in any way diminished my desire for elephant-related products of all kinds, however. I was very happy last night to find a wooden elephant necklace in Chiang Mai, in the same pattern as my previously purchased wooden elephant earrings.

There are elephant shows at several locations around Thailand, but I think the best one is located in Lampang province in the north. It’s the most "legit" one since its goal is to take care of the elephants and help them live fulfilling lives now that they can’t do their traditional forest work, not to turn them into circus clowns. We have taken all 12 of our visitors there and it’s a hit every time.

Shown here are Robert and Karin on their elephant ride! The elephant’s name was "Thankahmmi."

No comments: