Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Chiang Mai Market


Our visit to Chiang Mai with Annie reminded me of one of the things I love about Thailand – the shopping! The Chiang Mai night bazaar and the city’s many other markets are full of fascinating goods there for the choosing. As a Peace Corps volunteer, my budget isn’t really large enough to purchase many of the items that catch my eye, but I find that just walking around and observing the various displaying, buying, and selling that takes place is entertainment enough. (Besides, our house is full of stuff already, which we want to start clearing out before the rainy season arrives again!)

Speaking of the rainy season, I read an article over the weekend discussing this year’s La Niña phenomenon. According to the article, this year the rainy season in Thailand will be longer and heavier than usual, resulting in increased flooding in the north. I must say that this information made me even more paranoid about rain than I already am, after last year’s events. If anyone knows more about expected rain patterns in Southeast Asia over the coming months, feel free to fill me in.

No comments: